Thursday, December 01, 2016

coffee ornament tutorial

I had a fun idea for a Christmas ornament for a friend who loves coffee. I drafted up a quick little pattern and I was delighted that it actually turned out. I can not tell you how much squealing I did as I was making this!!! Here's a little tutorial for you, so you can make a few, too!
Supplies needed:
PDF pattern pages
Scraps of fabric
4" x 5" piece of thin cotton batting
3 1/2" x 4 1/2" piece of fusible interfacing (Pellon SF101)
2" square of fusible web (Lite Steam-a-Seam 2 or something similar)
Coffee beans, polyester fiberfill, or a filling of your choice
Ribbon for the hanger
Invisible nylon thread
First, print off the pattern pages. Measure to make sure that the test box measures 1". (In your printer settings, make sure that the "Do Not Scale" button is selected.)
You may find it helpful to color in the sections of the paper pieced pattern to correspond to the fabrics you have selected, at least in sections A and B.
Paper piece sections A, B and C of the coffee cup pattern. Remove the paper backing from each section.
 Sew the 3 sections together with a 1/4" seam allowance. Press well.
Place the paper pieced cup right side up on to the piece of batting. (No backing is necessary at this time.)
Quilt the piece. Add as much (or little) quilting as you would like.
Select a fabric (preferably a solid fabric) for the initial and cut out a 2" square. Take the 2" square of fusible web and adhere it to the fabric according to package directions.
Decide which letter you would like to add to your ornament. Cut out the paper letter (which has already been reversed for you) and trace the letter to the paper backing of your fusible web.
Cut out the letter with a pair of sharp scissors or an X-acto knife. This is by far the hardest part of the whole project. The letters are tiny!
Remove the paper backing and fuse the letter to the ornament. Trim the piece down to 3 1/2" x 4 1/2". (Basically, you will just be cutting off the excess batting, but square up the piece if needed.)
Cut a 3 1/2" x 4 1/2" piece of fabric for the backing of the ornament. Fuse the interfacing to the wrong side of the backing fabric according to package directions.
Cut a 6" piece of ribbon and place it at the top of the ornament, pointing down, as shown.
Baste it in place with a few stitches 1/8" from the edge or less.
Place the quilted coffee cup piece and the backing piece right sides together. The ribbon should be tucked in between the layers. Pin or clip together. Sew around the perimeter of the ornament with a 1/4" seam allowance, leaving a 2-3" gap for turning. Backstitch at the beginning and end of the seam.
Trim off the corners at a 45 degree angle, close to (but not through) the seam lines.
Turn the piece right side out and carefully use a knitting needle or the tip of a pair of scissors to fully turn out the corners. Press carefully with a warm iron.
Fill the inside with coffee beans, polyester fiberfill, or the stuffing of your choice. Hand stitch the opening closed with invisible nylon thread. This is the side I hand stitched closed! I love that it's nearly invisible. (Because my hand stitching isn't that neat! ha!)
Hang it on the tree or wrap it up and give to a friend! The finished ornament is 3" wide x 4" tall (without the hanger).

If you use this tutorial to make ornaments, I'd love to see them!

One disclaimer: I'm not sure how coffee bean filling will last over time. There may be natural oils in the beans that will eventually discolor the fabric, but I do love how it smells, so I took the risk. If you are concerned about this type of thing, I would suggest using a different filling.
---------
Just to clarify....here are a few words on the difference between fusible interfacing and fusible web. These are my user-friendly, not so technical definitions: :)

Fusible web is sticky on two sides and it is used for adhering two fabrics together. I've used a few different types, but I love the Lite Steam-a-Seam products. They are easy to use and the paper backing usually comes off without incident. Wonder Under is another product that is similar, but it's not my favorite. Some fusible web products are suitable for sewing through and some are not. Be sure to read the labels and instructions that come with the product.

Fusible interfacing has adhesive (which is heat activated) on one side and it is used to give stability to your fabric. I LOVE Pellon SF101. In fact, I buy it by the bolt when I have a good coupon or when it is on sale. :) It is woven on one side, which means that it is soft and flexible, even after it is applied to your fabric. It's not crispy at all and it is super easy to use!  It's not heavy enough for all interfacing situations, but it is great for backing pincushions, ornaments, the insides of quilted zip pouches or bags, and so much more. I have no affiliation whatsoever, it's just one of my favorite products! :)

19 comments:

Schulz Family said...

I love coffee. What a fantastic idea

Rani said...

So cute! Thank you for the pattern and tutorial!

The Joyful Quilter said...

These will be PERFECT for my Knit Group... we meet at a local coffee shop!!

Unknown said...

That is adorable!

Little Quiltsong said...

This is so cute! Coffee, would be my favorite to fill too.

Sew Happy said...

A great idea. I wish I had friends who drink coffee or other beverages on the run.
Donna

Pieced Brain Quilt Designs said...

I love this ornament! Thank you for a perfect tutorial!

ChezVies said...

that's super cute Amanda and thanks for the tutorial :)

Rebecca said...

Thank you so much!!!! I have been dreaming (and looking) for something like this. I have some dear friends I get together with once a month to have coffee (and tea) while we laugh, cry, and generally share life together. We are having an ornament exchange this month and this is perfect!

T Smith said...

You are my favorite blogger! Thank you so much for this tutorial!

Karen said...

Well, that's just too darn adorable! Thank you!

Sandy said...

Thank you so much for sharing this pattern and tutorial with us. The gal coffee drinkers in my family are getting these for sure this Christmas!

Sherry said...

Thanks for sharing this fabulous ornament. I hope to make several.

Angie in SoCal said...

So cute. Thanks for the tutorial.

FlashinScissors said...

This is so sweet! Love it! Thank you for the tutorial.
Barbara x

Suzanne said...

I heard the faint squeal the other day and now I know why! :)
You take the cake for thoughtfulness and generosity. Thank you!!

Julie Cefalu said...

That is a great idea for a Christmas ornament! I love the idea of using coffee beans to stuff it with.

kshackabq said...

This is adorable! Thank you, Amanda.

JoAnne in southern California said...

Oh my, Amanda! So cute. I have to tell you, every time I see a photo of your iron I think of my dear mother. Her iron was exactly like yours! Your iron is so old! My mother is smiling down on us right now. Thank you.